Friday 19 June 2009

My first Blog - Who am I

Let me introduce myself here so that you can decide for yourself whether it is worth spending your time reading my Blog.

I am one of those people who are competing for the most dissatisfied list on earth (if there is one). In the last 12 years of my working life I have changed jobs 5 times and lived in 4 different countries spanning 3 continents. The primary reason for the moves was job satisfaction.

My dissatisfaction has never been worse before like today. My job is similar to a number of my fellow country men. I am an IT professional, who got bored a couple of years ago of doing the same job year on year. I then decided to go freelancing with the expectation that I will get exposure into different business sectors and can do a variety of work. Here I am today complaining about the situation again. Everyone is blaming the recession for their failures; let me have my share of it! Yes, the recession has made it difficult for me to break into any other sector and I am still sticking to the same old job, but as a freelancer. Today I even have doubts as to whether breaking into those sectors will give me the satisfaction.

Looking back on what I did so far, my problem has always been not taking the big steps. Even though I took all the right steps and never failed, they were either too small or just temporary solutions. I think my dissatisfaction today is down to my hesitation to take big steps. I think I have a lot to offer and I am capable of doing much more than what I am doing today. I get bored very quickly by claiming the ladder one step at a time (not unusual I hope). This is my problem.

What is the solution! Some people say this is decease and there is no cure for it. I think an MBA from a top school will cure, if not help to find the remedy. I must be mad; I didn’t take these big steps when I was single or even before having kids. I know it will be the most difficult thing I have ever done. There you go! It is like paying for your credit card after the payment date, I will have to pay the late fee.

I am going to be 34 in a month’s time (Typical MBA age range !?!?!). I have a 3 year old son and another one is on the way (sleepless nights will help for my GMAT and essays!?!?!) and adding to that I live abroad and no family around to support us.

If you are still reading this Blog, I am sure you will be curious to know how I am progressing. So, please do come back and read. I definitely need your support and valuable comments.

1 comment:

Who am I? said...

well, it's been five months and I really am curious as to how you're progressing. Was your baby born? Are you finding any job satisfaction? Just curious.